Time to take stock. It's been five days since The Big Move and we're all still unpacking, moving things, settling in, but everything has calmed down enough that I can pause and evaluate where we are and where we're going.
I'll say something about the kitchen first of all. It is coming along and I am feeling pretty happy with it. There are some differences from the old house, but change is good. I had a realization yesterday about how to make things work well. I put away the rest of the glasses and there you go, it's nearly done now and I think I am happy. It feels like there is a bit less cabinet space than in the old one, but it may also be that it is just differently arranged. I do have to prohibit people from just hanging out in the "working" end of the kitchen, because it becomes impossible to do anything very quickly if people are racing through or standing around, but that is just the way it is in almost any kitchen. This kitchen has a good "hanging out" side too, where I am happy to have people just loitering. It's a learning curve. So many things are a learning curve, but it's a curve we were already well on the way to getting through in many other aspects. I still need to organize the pantry and there are a few things still missing, but it certainly feels good to have the kitchen cleared of boxes, at least!
The only question I have is....what is next, and is there really anything more that I need now that the beds are in place, clothes are in dressers and beds are made? Seriously, isn't the rest of this stuff better off in boxes?
I find that I have gotten all...insanely ruthless. I feel like I want to clean up all the disasters, straighten up all the piles of stuff, throw out all the trash, recycle all the recycling, pick out the few things that are useful or loved and get the rest out of my life. I have gotten to the point where I can very quickly decide which things deserve to stay and which things have outlived their usefulness, or have always been hated and need to go. Mostly I don't hesitate or second-guess. It feels like a huge rush of cosmic power! And then I have to stop and make lunch or get the van serviced and then what? Then I reflect on other aspects of this change.
As for the more human aspect, it's been going pretty well so far. It feels like we're going from a situation that was logistically challenging in a lot of ways for a lot of the people involved to one that feels, in spite of boxes everywhere, almost entirely functional. All of the kids have their own room, and each room seems to be well suited to each child. Scott has his own space. I am sharing a room with Andrew, but really, given the magnitude of the en suite bathroom, it is two rooms. He has always been known as "the best at sharing," and given our 18 years of happy marriage, it seems like something that might be entirely expected. Oh, and our dressers are in the same room as our bed. Revolutionary. In short, there is more than enough space here for our expanded family, and if I tell someone "put this in your room," it actually works. Each person has a clearly defined room, and there is space within the room. Perfection.
Now, in any situation where you have new roommates, family members or neighbors, there is always a concern about how you will get along, and if you are living with a friend, whether living together will be so stressful that the friendship will suffer. And the more people involved, the more complicated the situation is. So far, though, the past few days have felt to me like a huge relief of stress. Because we have been juggling kids and dog and households together on opposite sides of St. Paul for months now, we are all used to working together, spending time together, and relying on each other. The relationships are already fairly well established, it's just easier now because there is a central location where we can land so that we aren't worried about getting everyone back to opposite sides of the city at the end of the day.
For example, I was able stay longer at the car place last night and get the brakes fixed when it became clear that that was what needed to happen. Scott had all four kids and was able to get them fed, homework accomplished and one of them tucked in and asleep before Andrew and I even made it back home, and the others were all ready for bed, too. I asked Bailey about how it went and he said "I think he handled things exactly as you would have except...he bought us a smoothie at Panera." This could never happen with a condo in the north suburbs and a house in the south suburbs! I realize we are only a few days in and it is early to say this, but so far it all seems to be...pretty good. Knock on wood. Goodness knows we might not be into the real trenches of it yet, but we'll just have to see when we get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment