So we have had some people look at our house, which is nice. And we usually have decent lead time for the appointments, which is also nice because we can't not live here, and living here involves things like cooking and making small/related messes. Also, we have children, and it turns out that they are not very neat.
We haven't had any offers but I'm grateful that at least some people are looking.
But yesterday we had a very annoying experience with people who had made an appointment. They wanted to look at the house on Saturday afternoon, which we were amenable to. But it did involve moving a planned event to a whole other city (which, for complicated reasons, involved driving two cars) and at least three hours of extra cleaning.
Towards the end of the hour long appointment time, Austin got a text that these people had decided they didn't want to look at the house because it is in front of a cemetery.
Really? We wasted hours of time on this appointment and rearranged our lives for people who 1. apparently didn't look very closely at the listing for our house and 2. must be kind of clueless because living in front of a cemetery is actually AWESOME.
At some point I'm going to get over the rudeness of these potential buyers not bothering to cancel or even look closely before they completely inconvenienced us and took up tons of our weekend for no good reason.
But I really don't understand the "I don't want to live by the cemetery" thing. What is that? Over exposure to the Poltergeist film series? Fear of zombies? Too quiet? I don't get it.
I'm sure this has something to do with our culture's total discomfort and phobia about death. But I've lived her for nine years, and the cemetery is a great neighbor. It is quiet and no one is ever going to move in back there and become noisy. It's beautifully kept. And, I guess if one is worried about a zombie apocalypse, you'd be the first to get the warning. What's not to love?
And now, gratuitous photographs of my cat, Apollo, and my son, Alex:


I'd have no problem living by a cemetery, I've always been fascinated by them. There is so much history in there! Sorry to hear how rude the people were.
ReplyDeleteUgh. People! I watched one of those HGTV shows yesterday called "Love It or List It" in which a remodeler/redecorator and a realtor face off and try to get a family to either ove the home they are in with a renovation or decide that a new house is the better choice and list their old home. And this couple were absolutely awful - I wanted to smack them. Rude to both professionals. Unreasonable. Etc. Etc. And I wonder if these "We dont' want to be by the cemetery" are the same sort.
ReplyDeleteI agree it is most likely a cultural sort of issue because I have always enjoyed your home by the cemetery. Someday their discomfort with death is going to be an issue. Who knows when but...FACT: Death is here to stay. Better make peace with that fact right up front. Or..er...back?