Well, the fact is, I'm moving for realz to St. Paul this week but there is a situation where there was an art auction at our friend Carrie's church. The goal, to feed a village for a year. The problem: something about donations that did not come through? Andrew, of course, in his awesomeness got some Chameleon tickets and some Graphic Novels and that sort of thing together. I said "Oh, I have some canvas and some paint. I'll do something for you.
Offering number 1 is a Patchwork Crucifix. It's in the style of the painting I did for Almost, Maine, but with a sort of Christian/crafty theme rather than a sort of romantic theme. I did have a nice time with the paint and with adding in some additional symbols, not really visible in this photo. I don't feel it's the most brilliant composition.
Offering number 1 is a Patchwork Crucifix. It's in the style of the painting I did for Almost, Maine, but with a sort of Christian/crafty theme rather than a sort of romantic theme. I did have a nice time with the paint and with adding in some additional symbols, not really visible in this photo. I don't feel it's the most brilliant composition.
I still had paint on the palette and so I grabbed a canvas we had used as a sign for another show and I just sort of slammed that paint on there. It wasn't bad, but I came back to it today and ended up with this:
Which I liked but was not entirely comfortable with the, shall we say, Georgia O'Keefesque quality to certain portions of the piece. So...more paint and now it is entirely inoffensive... The lighting is different. I didn't actually change the colors:
This has made me think a little more about painting in a non-scenic capacity. I realized that the only times that I bother to paint are when there is a deadline and an event. I always enjoy doing studio-type art, but it's not usually my priority unless there is a cause or a show or a...something. And I'm not convinced it's my greatest gift - my greatest gift is optimizing others, apparently - but...it's nice sometimes to just let the paint do its painty thing.



Wow, these are really COOL!
ReplyDeleteI have no idea how to paint, but I've only ever tried it in art classes in junior high (which were required). I don't think many people would be able to make things this great on the spur of the moment...
I am glad you like them. I hope the bring someone some joy and make some money for the good people trying to feed children in need. And if not...well, at least they fill out the art auction.
ReplyDeleteI have finally learned how to post: by replying to other comments. I would just like to say that, as the author of the Lusty, Busty Pirate Musical, I see dirty jokes and eroticism in everything, even at funerals. But I totally missed the Georgia O'Keefe sexual symbolism that you had to get rid of. Either it was pretty subtle or I am failing at Dirty Old Man-ism. -- Dan
DeleteAh, fantastic. Well, we will just have to make sure to have comments for you to reply to, I guess!
DeleteIf you don't see the suggestive imagery, I feel better about posting it on the blog and sending it to people before.