The absolute grinding frustration of last week has mostly resolved, in part because our "hit them hard and eradicate them" campaign to get rid of head lice has been very successful. I did a lot of laundry and vacuuming and some shampooing; Austin attended to the tedious business of picking nits out of J's hair. (I would have done more of this because it is a very big job, but nits are tiny and I've been putting bifocals off forever... you do the math).
And this week has been pleasant. I had an unexpected day off on Tuesday for which I still got paid (thank you Paid Time Off and Excused Absences!) and have been busy in the house doing more laundry, reading, and even just hanging out with the kids and listening to holiday music.
The biggest news this week is that our downstairs is being recarpeted this week. The large area that used to have slightly water damaged, greyish carpet over it now has a nice, high quality neutral beige carpet. The staircase, which had ancient seafoam green carpet on it (for reasons that I still don't understand the stairs didn't match anything else), have also been recarpeted with this nice new product. Tomorrow the horrible pink carpet in my office (or what would be a downstairs bedroom) will be replaced with a darker neutral carpet. Assuming we can move all the crap out of here anyway...
Here is a photo of Austin moving the stuff out of the main downstairs area so that it can be recarpeted:
Notice the dingy grey carpet that is now GONE. Also Austin's super muscular physique.
Here is a photo of the new carpet, as seen on the stairs:
Pretty!
Additional good news is that there are now people who want to actually come and look at our house. We are in the middle of scheduling two showings.
Finally, I have to share a cute story that Austin told me that made me remember why I actually like living in this house. Our next door neighbor, who works at Carleton with Austin, sent him an email saying that their family was sad when they saw the "for sale" sign go up in our yard. But she went on to suggest that if we do move, we should "leave the cat in the window, as it provides Scotty [their dog] with hours of entertainment." I had to laugh at that! It's good to know that someone is enjoying Apollo's window-sitting.
Bonus Apollo photo, just because:
Apparently he couldn't find any actual people to cuddle with on this particular day, so one of Julia's American Girl dolls had to suffice.



I think Apollo looks a little put out that this DOLL is taking up half of his floating cat bed. Look at that ear swivel and the whisker turn. That is what THAT means.
ReplyDeleteThe stairs look gorgeous. I hadn't really thought of that carpet in forever, but new carpet makes things all new!
Lucky Sara! We bought the Boo a floating cat bed and we just can't interest her in it. But more to the point, glad to see this happening. We have a 1981 burnt orange shag carpet in the basement that we are DYING to get rid of. Maybe this will inspire us!
DeleteThere's nothing like new carpet, unless it is only very slightly used carpet. Carpet from the previous century need not apply. Go for it Dan - it will revitalize your entire basement!
DeleteApollo always looked put out in that case!
ReplyDeleteRemember how much difference it made to replace the carpet in the townhouse? That was amazing. This is, too. Coincidentally, the carpet on the stairs was that same awful seafoam green that we had in the townhouse. NO MORE HOUSES WITH SEAFOAM GREEN CARPET!!!
I love that you all think that is a floating cat bed... it is a random seat cushion my mother passed on to us. :)
Daniel - I want to see before and after pix of that carpet!!!
I remember. It made such a huge difference in the Apple Valley house, too. You would not think the floor would be that big a deal, but it kind of is.
DeleteNow, I like me some seafoam green, and that was the color of the carpet in Bailey's room in Apple Valley. I agree though that Seafoam Green Carpet's moment has probably passed.