Friday, December 28, 2012

Moving Eve

This is the part where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.  We had packers here today, packing things, but not everything?  There is a lot of stuff yet to contend with before they come and take apart beds and drive most of the things to the new place and install them and everything.  It is...even when you have other people do a lot of the work, it is still exhausting.  Physically, mentally, emotionally, probably spiritually when it boils down to it.  I will confess to having more than a few doubts at this point as to how agreeable I am going to actually find the new location, living arrangements, house, etc. etc.  BUT.  I can't let that stop me.  There are things to move.  And, unfortunately there was snow today, so several hours spent clearing driveways as well.

I haven't been taking pictures much at all lately, but today, I spent a chunk of time in the coat closet and where it had been kind of full of random stuff, shoes, all over the place, bags of love from Almost, Maine etc. etc...it really looks like the nice thing about this house that it was when we bought the place.

Which brings me to my next observation and that is that I am not only failing consumption, I am also failing at functioning with all the stuff that a consumption-based lifestyle has led me to acquire.   Bags that have receipts from 4 years ago.  Just too many bags.  Too many of almost everything, when it boils down to it.  Yes, I'm moving in to a bigger house which theoretically means more places to put all this....STUFF, but once again, I find that I don't really want it.  It does not make me happy.  And yet, no matter how many things I give away, no matter how many donations I drop off or arrange to have picked up, there is still more.  More!  More.

We also took a day out of this whole sorting, giving, packing THING to paint my 14 year old son's room blue instead of pink, as was his preference.  It was the only room in the house that anyone felt needed paint immediately, so that was....darned lucky.  I need to get some "after" pictures, but it has gone from being a lovely petal pink with white trim and a tiara on the doorway to being...well, it's French blue with white trim, but...I did take down the tiara for him, too.

Back to sorting and packing.  One way or another, tomorrow night, I will be sleeping in St. Paul.

1 comment:

  1. I love the French blue! :)

    Can't wait to see the new house again with your things in it. It is going to be great!!!

    ReplyDelete