The only thing I cleaned so far today was the shop so it could be the rehearsal room tonight even though really...it's kind of got more the feel of a shop than a rehearsal room even when there aren't tools and carpentry and stuff going on in it.
It is not that easy to build a big set with a raked stage out of platforms and carpet padding and canvas by day and then clear everything out so it can be a nigh-unchanged rehearsal room by night. Usually I allow about half an hour for shop-clean-up. We spent over an hour today and hopefully it was good enough not to merit complaints. Because sharing space isn't always easy.
Here is a picture of one of my projects today. It is a cobbled together weirdo platform assemblage. The exciting parts (if exciting is the right word at all) are:
1. The two larger triangles at the top of this first picture are the ones that Scott and I built yesterday.
2. The smaller triangles (Weirdly one is at the front of the picture and looks smaller than the large triangles with cross braces - never mind - are ones that I built for "The Woman in Black" last year.
3. Philip asked me for 2-4x4 platforms for the middle of these pieces. I could only bring one - the other was too dificult to extract by myself the other day. I grabbed 2-2x2 platforms instead. One of which has the red, black and tiny white diamonds from the floor of "Cabaret" on the underside. On the upper side, which you can't see here, it is still the "sexy-blue" with big conversation hearts from "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change."
It is not that easy to build a big set with a raked stage out of platforms and carpet padding and canvas by day and then clear everything out so it can be a nigh-unchanged rehearsal room by night. Usually I allow about half an hour for shop-clean-up. We spent over an hour today and hopefully it was good enough not to merit complaints. Because sharing space isn't always easy.
Here is a picture of one of my projects today. It is a cobbled together weirdo platform assemblage. The exciting parts (if exciting is the right word at all) are:
1. The two larger triangles at the top of this first picture are the ones that Scott and I built yesterday.
2. The smaller triangles (Weirdly one is at the front of the picture and looks smaller than the large triangles with cross braces - never mind - are ones that I built for "The Woman in Black" last year.
3. Philip asked me for 2-4x4 platforms for the middle of these pieces. I could only bring one - the other was too dificult to extract by myself the other day. I grabbed 2-2x2 platforms instead. One of which has the red, black and tiny white diamonds from the floor of "Cabaret" on the underside. On the upper side, which you can't see here, it is still the "sexy-blue" with big conversation hearts from "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change."
Look. It is even more evident from this view:
We might have been beyond punchy by the time I was bolting these guys together, because this over-tall platform kept cracking us up.
As did the VERY LARGE ground cloth formerly from True Love.
I don't know if all this falls under the category of "Jobs" or "Who knows what else" from the blog description, but I knew it was on its way and I knew it was going to be a distraction. I did not know that I'd end up with a kind of a gimpy elbow or that it would push me to be unfairly snippy to a friend on Facebook. Or that I'd sometimes think I should go back to being just a mom instead of just a mom who does all this other stuff. But here is a pro tip for those who may be following along:
Don't try to tease me during a Build Week, unless you have been building with me.
And then you probably get a free pass .
Don't tease me during tech week.
Additionally, I realized we close on the new house in...two weeks? Insanity.


No comments:
Post a Comment