Monday, November 12, 2012

The Donation Zone.

The good thing is, I keep moving things out of here.  The bad thing is...there is so much more to do.  I know that packing and moving is a big undertaking but I am not even close to ready to think about that yet.

The years of accumulation.  It's like a long, arduous visit to the dentist after a 20 year hiatus.  Well, kinda.

I was in and out of the house all day today, but even so, I managed to chip away at a bit of the tartar of life:

I sorted through Justin's drawers and realized:
The answer to the question of how many non-uniform clothes Justin actually needs is probably...zero.
And yet he has the wardrobe of a kid whose older brother went to a school that not only did not require a uniform but also had multiple opportunities for acquiring school-themed t-shirts.

This also occurred to me today:  Getting rid of stuff is kind of addictive.
I mean, it's not necessarily easy at first, but after a while, I get to be on a roll, and I think "oh, I'll just start one more donation bag!"  And the larger a percentage of stuff seems like something I could do without.

It is great to be able to just donate the clothes that are too small for any child in the house.  Fantastic, really.  They aren't going back there!  No question!

Today's great find:
QUALITY Velcro in the shape of frogs.  From EPCOT, back when they had a show about Velcro in Innoventions.  True Story.

It was all bound up with a cool scarf and at first my instinct was to throw it out but then I realized...this is GREAT velcro and of a quality that you can't just walk into Michael's and BUY.  So...I extricated it and put it in a baggie (to prevent further entanglements) and put it with the sewing things.

I actually have a "Donation Zone" in my home.  There's a section of the "office" where I put the bags that are ready to go away.  I sent away 9 bags this morning.  I have 5 new bags this evening.  Next pickup is over a week away.  Although I always have the option of dropping things off at Goodwill myself.



2 comments:

  1. There was a Velcro show at EPCOT?! Whoa. That is so bizarre!!!

    I think you are beating me at donating stuff. But it is pretty addictive...

    Our recycling is overflowing right now, although they won't pick it up for another week. Recycling is also addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE recycling, and always have a bag of my own going, but really Andrew is the rockstar in that department right now.

    The Velcro show at Epcot was super, super cool. There were men in aprons and baby dolls on conveyor belts and nothing can actually compete with that.

    It's not a donation competition, but I am glad you approve of my form.

    ReplyDelete