I feel like I'm treading water, not getting anywhere. Certainly not moving very fast even with the current.
Today I got to the point where I decided I HAD to do something about the clothing situation. Sara's post on laundry + Scott talking to Lucy about putting away clothes and how there was room in the drawers because they had cleaned them out + 8 baskets of clothes (at least!) in the bedroom...
So I moved the baskets of clothes out to the living room. It's not anything but shuffling, but...I need to go through them. I need to get things out of drawers. It's a big project and this is step 1.
In the process, I did find 2 bags of donatable clothes, 1 bag of pants with holes all in the same knee and 1 bag of yellow stuffed animals. A big elephant, a Pluto and a Pikachu.
And there were bags. Bags that had not been unpacked from trips. There was a fastpass for Space Mountain in 2006. Needless to say, we missed the freaking window on that one!
Then I started going through those bags. From the trips. My medals from 2009 - my first year of racing and I got the first Coast-to-Coast medal. It came off its ribbon, but I fixed it.
There were postcards from Chameleon shows in 2009 - Cabaret and Suburb: The Musical.
And there was this little gem. Which has been missing for, obviously, years:
And which Justin has been pining for lately. He'll be excited in the morning, for sure.
I also found a little notebook. I had clearly taken some notes on a class or seminar or something.
I also found a little notebook. I had clearly taken some notes on a class or seminar or something.
Among other things, it included this wisdom:
What are the conditions that foster respect?
3 things to boost self-esteem
not IQ, not location, not education, not ncome.
3 things
1. Unconditional Love.
2. Reachable expectations
(less permissive environment, non-negotiable rules, not too many)
3. Respetful & Democratic Environment
3 things
1. Unconditional Love.
2. Reachable expectations
(less permissive environment, non-negotiable rules, not too many)
3. Respetful & Democratic Environment
(Listen - what kids want more of)
Presence is critical.
I still haven't contended with those baskets of clothes and don't have room in the drawers for them anyway, but...I'll get there.
Presence is critical.
I still haven't contended with those baskets of clothes and don't have room in the drawers for them anyway, but...I'll get there.

Update: I really should not expect gleeful excitement from my son. He seemed neither surprised nor excited to see that game! Just "Oh. Yeah." Now, if I can find that long-lost iPod, there might be a little enthusiasm.
ReplyDeleteLOL at Justin's reaction.
ReplyDeleteGreat find with those notes, though! Especially "presence is critical." An easily forgotten lesson when we are busy as we are right now, so thank you for the reminder!