Monday, November 19, 2012

The Headboard that Ate the Public Library?

This has been a project for a couple of days now.  It's...a magnificent headboard gone totally, horrifically wrong.  There is a green sand bucket, for goodness sake.



I worked left to right and realized a few things as I went:


I am getting good at quickly recognizing things that have no functional place in my current life, which doesn't necessarily make them easy to get rid of.  That's a metaphor.

We have a dust problem.  The problem is that we don't have anyone come and dust for us.

It's true that you know you have an issue when your best weapon against dust is the vacuum.  Partway through, I was inspired to take a picture to show just how long it had been since I had dared look up there  It's...practically its own continent.  Now, before you judge....well, I don't really have anything.  Go ahead and judge.  That's a freakish lot of dust.





This headboard has a secret compartment.  Do you want to know what I found in there?  One earring,  a cap from a needle used for giving a cat subcutaneous fluids (oh, 6 years ago!!), and 5 books.  The titles:  Weight Watchers Dining Out CompanionNonviolent Communication WorkbookNew Clues to Harry Potter Book 5,  Growing Up Attachment Parenting: From Kindergarten to College, and Snarf Attack:  Underfoodle and the Secret of Life.  Apparently we have no clue what a secret compartment is for.  Or HAD no clue way back when we were filling up that secret compartment with really random books.





And check it out - the finished headboard.  It really is VERY nice.  If it doesn't end up full to bursting with...you know...STUFF.  I went through both cabinets, and all the drawers, too.  The room isn't finished, but this was a big depressing thing that now is practically ready to pack and move.  Oh, and good news:  none of the books I found was actually a library book.  That is a good thing, my friends.


Next Project!


3 comments:

  1. Never, ever, ever feel guilty about dusting. I firmly believe my (lack of) dusting criteria is why neither of my sons have dust allergies. My mother taught me early on that I did not need to dust anything I could not see. Of course, at my short stature that means the rest of the world sees a fair amount of dust in my house at any given point in time. Small flaw in the theory, but I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I LOVE this. If they are bothered by the up-high dust...they can dust, right? I figure it saves time to save it up for a few years and just get it all at once. I know that is the exact opposite of the wisdom of many house cleaners, but I'm going to take your advice and not feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part about the secret compartment!

    I, too, am fighting the dust monster, but since we had a showing I probably can't prove it photographically anymore. At least we lead dusty lives in a social network of non-dusters...


    ReplyDelete